Upper leg Upper leg (thigh) issues include hamstring pain/injury and front thigh pain/injury.
Hamstring muscle injuries are felt as a sudden sharp pain at the back of the thigh. These are common in sports that involve running and kicking.
Physiotherapy for hamstring pain:
ice and ultrasound therapy to reduce pain and swelling
soft tissue massage to relieve tension pain
stretching exercises to lengthen soft tissue
manual therapy for the pelvis and trunk
structured warm up and cool down exercise program
Front thigh pain
A thigh strain or quadriceps strain is a tear in one of the quadriceps muscles at the front of the thigh. It is often caused by a drirect blow to the muscle during sport activities. If the pain is not clearly localised it may be referred pain from the hip joint, the sacroiliac joint, the lumbar spine or the nerve structures.
Physiotherapy for front thigh pain
- ice and ultrasound therapy to reduce pain and swelling
- soft tissue massage to relieve tension and pain
- active and passive stretching exercises
- structured warm up and cool down exercise program facilitating return to sporting activity
- improving muscle strenght